Making the decision to utilize hospice care can be both emotional and overwhelming. Whether you’re considering it for yourself or a loved one, there are important questions that must be answered in order to determine which type of hospice care best meets your needs. Outpatient and inpatient hospice care each offer unique advantages, so it is essential to understand the difference between them before selecting one as part of your healthcare plan.
Inpatient Vs. Outpatient Hospice Care
Hospice care is a compassionate form of end-of-life care, provided to those experiencing terminal health conditions. While hospice can be received in either an inpatient or outpatient setting, the key difference lies in where the treatment is administered.
Inpatient hospice care is provided in a hospice facility or hospital, where they can provide more intensive support including 24/7 nursing care and access to medical supplies. Outpatient hospice care is administered in the patient’s home by hospice personnel. Outpatient hospice services are often geared more towards providing comfort measures such as pain management and symptom control.
Both options are covered under most hospice insurance plans and always provide comfort, connection and quality of life during this difficult time.
Benefits of Inpatient Hospice Care
Hospice care is an important option for those facing a terminal illness, either in hospice facilities or at home. However, there are some advantages of inpatient hospice care which make it a popular choice amongst many individuals.
Some advantages of inpatient hospice care include:
- Round-the-clock hospice care from qualified and experienced medical staff, including trained physicians and nurses to ensure the best possible comfort and pain management.
- Access to hospice specialists such as social workers who can provide emotional support for family members and spiritual counselors who can help them process their final days with dignity and peace of mind.
- Various forms of healthcare therapy including massage, complementary approaches such as aromatherapy and counseling services, and more.
- Gives families the opportunity to stay by their loved one’s side during this difficult time.
Benefits of Outpatient Hospice Care
Outpatient hospice care also offers a great advantage for both the patient and their families when transitioning to end of life care. This is especially true for individuals looking to remain in a familiar environment.
Some advantages of outpatient hospice care include:
- The ability to receive hospice services while still providing a comfortable and familiar home setting.
- Allowing patients to spend time with family and loved ones as much as they’d like.
- The presence of their personal belongings so that the familiarity can help them feel as comfortable as possible.
- Greater versatility in scheduling appointments, with visits occurring when needed rather than on regular intervals or treatments. This can often be tailored around pre-existing plans or commitments.
- Many outpatient hospice providers offer in-home medical equipment to assist symptom management and comfort.
Choosing Between Outpatient and Inpatient Hospice Care in San Antonio
Once you decide it’s the right time for hospice care, the right hospice care option is dependent upon the patient’s prognosis and their overall needs. Inpatient hospice care is designed for those who require 24-hour medical supervision with access to more advanced treatments. Outpatient hospice care is a good option for those who can still be somewhat independent from home with family support, yet still need support from hospice professionals as needed.
At Serenity Oaks, our hospice staff members can provide guidance as to which hospice program will best meet your loved one’s needs, ensuring that they receive the highest level of comfort and quality of life. We are dedicated to providing your loved ones with the highest standard of care possible. To learn more about our advanced level of personalized care services, please contact us today for more information. With experienced professionals onsite, you can trust us to give your family peace of mind for their last chapter of life.