Finding the right assisted living facility for a loved one is a huge decision. You are choosing not only a home but in many cases you are choosing a team of caregivers and a place to eat, socialize and thrive. While every assisted living decision will be a little different, we’ve put together a few tips that can make the process smoother and simpler for you and your family.
- Consider Needs – Not every assisted living facility offers the same services. Does your loved one need memory care services or have medical concerns that require a doctor to be on call at all times? You’ll need a different level of care than for a fully-independent senior who is just ready to live in a community atmosphere.
- Location Matters – Choosing assisted living located in a convenient location is key. If it is near where your loved one has previously lived, it will make it easier for others to visit and for your mom or dad to go visit the places that are important to them. In addition, you want somewhere easy for you to stop by and visit too!
- Think About the Future – While it may not always be possible, it is often desirable to find a facility that will not only serve your loved one’s needs now but one that will do so in the future to. Consider looking at a facility that offers medical care, hospice, memory care and other services so that if additional care is needed, it is easily available without necessitating a move.
- Take a Tour – While it may have been previously easier to get in and tour facilities, now there can be restrictions due to Covid-19. However, many facilities do offer virtual tours that let you get a look on the inside and a feel for what the patient experience may be like on a day to day basis.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask Questions – Gather up all the questions you can think of and don’t be afraid to ask them! A quality assisted living residence will be more than willing to answer your questions and do whatever is possible to alleviate any concerns.
If you are interested in learning more about assisted care options in the San Antonio, Texas area, we invite you to learn more about Serenity Oaks. We offer a number of different assisted living options that meet the needs of seniors throughout the region. Give us a call or browse our website to discover why we stand out from other local facilities.