If you or a loved one is considering a move to an assisted living home, you probably have a dizzying number of questions. Here are three of the most essential questions you can ask any assisted living home before you decide to make the big move.
Three Essential Questions to Ask Assisted Living Homes
1. Do you have an experienced and caring staff?
Residents in assisted living homes have a special human-to-human relationship with the staff. Training is essential to this relationship, in that people in assisted living homes have special needs and goals. Find out if the staff has completed training in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, for example, and if they undergo routine in-services to learn more.
The highest quality assisted living homes offer a variety of medical and nursing services, such as:
- Trained staff skilled in providing help with everyday needs and handling emergency situations
- 24-hour hands-on care
- Visiting physicians on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Pharmacies that deliver to the door
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia care
- Medication assistance
- Hospice care
- Regular wellness checks
- Friendly counseling
- State of the art emergency call and point of care system
- Electronic Health Records to ensure accurate and timely medication and healthcare services
2. Do you offer a wide variety of activities and support?
Learn about the various activities and events sponsored by the assisted living home. Staying active is important at any age, and many older adults are eager to learn new skills. Find out if the assisted living community offers exercise classes or other life enrichment programs.
Activities and support may include religious services, daily scheduled activities with supervision, conversation, and companionship.
3. What services and amenities do you offer to keep residents safe and happy?
Safety is one of the most important features of an assisted living home, especially for people who have memory issues or other conditions that make it hard to carry out various activities of daily living, such as preparing meals or bathing and dressing. Personal services are important too. Find out if the assisted living home offers a variety of services and amenities, such as:
- A warm, safe, and clean home environment
- Help with activities of daily living such as bathing and dressing
- Three family-style daily meals, along with snacks
- Incontinence care
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Individualized service plans
- Beauty and barber shop to keep residents looking and feeling their best
- Individually controlled thermostats in resident suites
- Scheduled transportation for shopping, excursions and appointments
The community should provide comfort and security too. These services and amenities may include:
- Beautifully landscaped grounds
- Bright and spacious gathering areas for recreation and entertainment
- Enclosed courtyards and patios for relaxing
- Spacious dining rooms
- Various utilities
Be sure to find out if they offer services and amenities to family members, such as:
- Respite care to give caregivers a much-needed break
- Family support services
For more information on the most important questions to ask assisted living homes, contact Serenity Oaks Assisted Living and Memory Care near San Antonio, TX. Our team of assisted living professionals is eager to speak with you.